HYPER Special
Issues & Trend
HY Insight
Theme
Story

더 넓고 다채로워지는 한류
“이제는 K-클래식이다”

More diversified and colorful Korean Wave, “It’s the era of Korean Classical Music”

성악과 18학번 테너 서강

Tenor Seo Gang, Student in the Department of Vocal Music, Class of 2018s

• 글 박영임
  • 사진 이현구
  • Writing Park Yeong-im
  • Photograph Lee Hyeon-gu
세계 무대에서 한국의 젊은 음악가들이 큰 활약을 펼치고 있다. 이러한 현상을 일컫는 ‘K-클래식’이라는 신조어도 등장했다. 차근차근 자신의 길을 넓혀가는 서강 학생도 뉴욕 메트로폴리탄 오페라 극장의 무대에 설 날을 꿈꾸고 있다. K-클래식 유망주로 주목받는 서강 학생을 만나 K-클래식의 힘과 비전에 대해 생각해본다.

Young Korean musicians are showing outstanding performances on the world stage. A new word “K-Classic” has also been coined to refer to this growing phenomenon. Seo Gang, a college student who is gradually broadening his path, also dreams of the day he will take the stage at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York. We discussed the power and vision of K-Classical music with Seo Gang, who is receiving attention as a promising musician leading K-Classic.

‘K-클래식’ 시대 개막

클래식에 조예가 깊지 않은 사람들에게도 2015년 한국인 최초로 쇼팽 국제 콩쿠르에서 우승을 차지한 피아니스트 조성진이나 2022년 반 클라이번 콩쿠르에서 최연소 우승을 거머쥔 피아니스트 임윤찬은 꽤 잘 알려져 있다. 이들의 티켓 파워는 아이돌 스타급이어서 공연 티켓을 구하기도 쉽지 않다. 이들 외에도 2014년 퀸 엘리자베스 콩쿠르 1위 황수미, 2015년 퀸 엘리자베스 콩쿠르 최초로 기악으로 1위를 차지한 임지영, 2015년 부소니 콩쿠르 1위 문지영, 2017년 밴 클라이번 콩쿠르 1위 선유예권 등 최근 세계 주요 콩쿠르를 젊은 한국의 음악가들이 휩쓸고 있다.

벨기에 공영방송 <RTBF>의 공연 실황 방송 책임자이자 음악 다큐멘터리 감독인 테레리 로로는 지난 20년간 세계 주요 콩쿠르에서 110여 명의 한국인이 우승한 점에 흥미를 느끼고 그 이유를 탐색했다. 한국 음악가들의 성공을 K-팝에 비유해 ‘K-클래식’이라 부르며 그 배경을 밝히는 다큐멘터리 <K클래식 제너레이션>(2022)을 발표한 것이다. 해당 다큐멘터리에서는 넘치는 야망과 그 꿈을 이루기 위한 철저한 자기훈련, 희생, 전폭적인 교육 투자 등을 K-클래식이 단기간 내에 성장한 이유로 꼽았다. 그러면서 클래식의 발상지는 유럽이지만 최근 극동 아시아로 서서히 중심축이 이동 중이라고 밝혔다.

이렇게 한국의 음악가들이 세계적인 콩쿠르에서 두각을 나타내자 클래식 저변도 확대됐다. 업계에서는 K-클래식 시대의 새로운 주인공을 찾기 위해 분주히 움직이고 있다. 일례로 올해 40회를 맞는 대구콩쿠르는 ‘대구국제성악콩쿠르’로 이름을 바꾸고 국제 경연으로 격상했다. 7개국에서 212명의 젊은 성악인이 참가했고 오페라의 발상지인 이탈리아에서도 예선을 치렀다. 이 대회에서 한양대학교 성악과에 재학 중인 테너 서강 학생이 영예의 대상(문화체육관광부 장관상)과 서울시오페라단상을 동시에 받으며 K-클래식의 새로운 유망주로 떠올랐다.

Opening of the ‘K-Classic’ era

Even those who do not have a profound knowledge of classical music are familiar with pianist Cho Seong-Jin, who was the first Korean to win the International Frederick Chopin Piano Competition 2015, and pianist Yun-chan Lim, who was the youngest winner in the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition in 2022. As they have idol star-like ticket selling power, it is not easy to get tickets for their performances. In addition to them, young Korean musicians have swept the awards in the international music competition, such as Hwang Su-mi, who won first prize at the 2014 Queen Elizabeth Competition; Lim Ji-young, who won first prize for instrumental music at the 2015 Queen Elizabeth Competition; Mun Ji-young, who won first prize at the Busoni Competition in 2015; and Seonyu Ye-kwon, who won first prize at the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition in 2017.

Thierry Loreau, a TV performance and musical documentary director at Belgium’s public broadcaster, RTBF, explored the reasons why 110 Korean classical musicians have been winning major international music competitions over the past 20 years. He explained the reasons behind the success of Korean musicians comparing them with K-pop and called it “K-Classical Music,” and released a documentary film “K-Classic Generation” (2022) that explored the reasons behind the success of the Korean musicians. In the film, he pointed out that in addition to the overflowing artists’ passion, it was Korean music education and parents’ devotion and full-fledged investment in education to achieve their dreams that have played a key role in the rapid growth of K-Classical Music. He also said the birthplace of classical music is Europe, but the global center of classical music is recently shifting to the Far East.

As such, as Korean musicians have risen to the top in international music competitions, the basis for classical music has also expanded. The relevant industry is busy discovering new artist in the era of K-Classical Music. For example, marking the 40th anniversary this year, the Daegu Competition was renamed as the “Daegu International Vocal Music Competition,” to upgrade its status to an international music competition. A total of 212 young singers from seven countries took part in the preliminary rounds which were also held in Italy, the birthplace of opera. At the competition, tenor Seo Gang, a student at the Department of Vocal Music at Hanyang University, won the grand prize (Award of Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism) and the Seoul Opera Prize at the same time, emerging as a promising new star for K-Classical Music.

미국 뉴욕 메트로폴리탄 오페라 극장 무대를 꿈꾸는 테너 서강 학생은 K-클래식의 새로운 유망주 중 한 명이다. Seo Gang, who dreams of the day he will take the stage at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York, USA,, is one of the promising musicians leading K-Classical music.

대구국제성악콩쿠르에서 2관왕 차지

서강 학생은 본선에서 도니체티의 오페라 <람메르무어의 루치아>에 나오는 <내 조상의 무덤이여>와 한국 가곡 <박연폭포>를 불렀다. 두 곡 모두 테너로서의 힘 있는 고음을 잘 보여줄 수 있는 곡이었다.

“대상으로 제 이름이 호명된 줄도 모르고 있다가 주변에서 알려줘서 얼떨떨한 심경으로 단상에 올라갔습니다. 초심을 잃지 않고 더욱 노력해 계속 발전하는 모습을 보여드리겠습니다.”

이미 시상식 초반에 서울시오페라단상을 수상했기에 대상은 꿈도 꾸지 못했다는 서강 학생. 그저 서울시오페라단이라는 큰 단체에서 다른 성악가들과 함께 무대에 설 꿈에 부풀어 본인의 이름이 호명된 것도 듣지 못했다. 서울시오페라단상을 수상하면 서울시오페라단의 공연에 주 · 조역으로 데뷔할 수 있는 특전이 주어지기 때문이다. 게다가 본선장에 가보니 나이도 제일 어리고, 유럽 유학을 마치고 갓 귀국한 선배나 다른 유명 콩쿠르의 수상자도 있어 살짝 기가 죽은 상태였다.

“나이가 가장 어린 만큼 다른 사람들보다 더 도전해야 한다며 결과에 연연하지 말고 가진 것을 모두 보여주라는 부모님의 응원에 큰 용기를 얻었습니다. 사실 성대에 무리가 와서 하마터면 성대결절을 앓을 뻔했는데 잘 이겨내 무대를 즐길 수 있었습니다.”

성악을 전공한 어머니를 따라 중학교 3학년 느지막이 성악을 시작한 서강 학생은 경북예술고등학교를 거의 턱걸이로 입학했다. 하지만 3년 후에는 수석으로 졸업했다. 그 3년 동안 거의 연습실에서 살다시피한 것. 하위권으로 입학하다 보니 더 잘하고 싶다는 욕심이 생겼고 수업이 끝난 후 5~6시간씩, 늦은 밤까지 연습에 몰두하는 연습 벌레가 됐다. 앞서 언급한 <K클래식 제너레이션>에서도 서강 학생처럼 자신의 모든 시간을 연습에 쏟아붓는 한국 음악가들의 근성을 집중 조명한 바 있다.

서강 학생은 유튜브로 한국의 테너를 검색하다가 우연히 접한 한양대 김우경 교수의 무대 영상을 보고 처음으로 누군가의 노래로 가슴이 뭉클해지는 감동을 경험했다. 그 후 서강 학생의 목표는 한양대에 입학해 김우경 교수의 제자가 되는 것이 됐다.

Won two gold medals at the Daegu International Vocal Music Competition

Seo Gang sang “Tombe degli avi miei” from Donizetti’s opera “Lucia de Lammermoor” and the Korean song “Bakyeon Falls” in the finals. Both songs showcased his powerful and high-pitched sound as a tenor.

“While I never dreamed that my name would be called for the grand prize, I was informed from people around me and went up to the podium pinching myself. I will be committed to improving my capability further without forgetting the first.”

Seo Gang added that he had never dreamed of winning the Grand Prize because he had already won the Seoul Opera Prize at the beginning of the awards ceremony. He did not even hear his name called, dreaming of taking the stage with other singers at the Seoul Opera, a large organization in the metropolitan city. A singer who wins the Seoul Opera Prize is given the privilege of debuting as a main or assistant singer in a performance of the Seoul Opera. Furthermore, Seo Gang was a little discouraged at the finals because not only he was the youngest, but also there were seniors who had just returned from studying in Europe and winners of other prestigious music competitions.

“I was encouraged by my parents who cheered me up, saying, ‘rather than clinging to the result, show everything you have looking for challenge more than others since you are the youngest’. In fact, I almost had vocal cord nodules due to the strain on my vocal chords, but I overcame it and was able to enjoy the stage.”

Seo Gang, who started to learn vocal music late in the third year of middle school motivated by his mother who majored in vocal music, managed to gain admission to Gyeongbuk Arts High School. But three years later, he graduated from the school with top honors. For three school years, he almost lived in the practice room. Since he entered the school at the bottom of the ranks, he had a passion to improve, so after the class, he devoted himself to singing for 5-6 hours till late night like a ‘practice worm.’ “K-Classic Generation,” mentioned earlier, also focused on the nature and spirit of Korean musicians who, like Seo Gang, devote all their time to music.

Seo Gang came across Hanyang University Professor Kim Woo-gyeong's performance video while searching for Korean tenors on YouTube and experienced the feeling of being touched by the songs of other people for the first time. Since then, Seo Gang aimed to enter Hanyang University and to be apprenticed to Professor Kim Woo-gyeong.

서강 학생은 가장 해보고 싶은 역할로 구노(C. Gounod)의 오페라 <파우스트>에서 감미로운 사랑의 아리아를 연주하는 ‘파우스트’를 꼽았다. Seo Gang added that the role he wants to play the most is Faust, who plays the sweet melody of aria of love in Faust, an opera of C. Gounod.

한국의 음악가들이
세계적인 콩쿠르에서 두각을 나타내면서
K-클래식의 저변이 확대되고 있다

As Korean musicians have risen to the top at the international music competition, the base for K-Classical Music has also been expanded.

한국인의 근성으로 세계 무대에 도전장

“K-클래식에 대한 저의 짧은 소견을 밝히자면 앞 세대분들이 선구자 역할을 잘해주신 덕분이라고 생각합니다. 클래식의 본고장에서 유학하며 배운 것들을 후배 세대에게 잘 가르쳐 주셨기에 지금 세대가 눈에 띄게 성장할 수 있는 거죠. 자랑스럽게도, 한양대 성악과에도 세계와 비교해 뒤지지 않는 우수한 교수진이 포진해 있습니다.”

서강 학생이 롤모델로 삼고 성악가로서는 물론, 모든 면을 닮기 위해 노력한다는 이. 김우경 교수 또한 한양대 성악과를 졸업한 후 뮌헨국립음악원을 거쳐 메트로폴리탄, 런던 코벤트 가든 로열 오페라 하우스, 라 스칼라 등 세계 최고의 오페라 극장 무대에서 호평받은 K-클래 식의 선구자 중 한 명이다. 서강 학생은 K-클래식의 유망주로서 그 스승의 궤적을 충실히 따르고 있는 셈이다.

“세계의 클래식 팬들을 사로잡기 전에 우리나라에서도 클래식이 더 사랑받으면 좋겠습니다. 가요처럼 TV 방송에서도 자주 접하게 되면 조금 더 많은 사람이 관심을 두겠죠. ‘팬텀싱어’ 같은 프로그램도 좋고요. 사실 저도 성악을 하기 전에는 클래식을 좀 지루하다고 생각했거든요. 일반인들이 클래식 공연을 찾아다니지는 않잖아요. TV나 유튜브를 통해 클래식과 친숙해지기를 바랍니다.”

세계 주요 콩쿠르나 무대에서 탁월한 평가를 받는 것도 일반인들에게 K-클래식에 대한 관심을 불러일으킬 방법 중 하나다. 지금까지는 해외 콩쿠르에 나설 기량이 아니라고 판단해 미처 도전해볼 생각을 하지 못했다는 서강 학생은 내년에는 스페인에서 열리는 비냐스 국제 콩쿠르에 나가볼 계획이다. 사실 서강 학생은 도전가로서의 기질을 충분히 갖추고 있다. 1학년이었던 2018년 성동문화재단과 한양대 음악대학이 공동 기획한 푸치니의 오페라 <잔니 스키니>에 주역으로 발탁된 바 있는데, 당시 선배들은 어려운 역할이라며 오디션 응시도 주저했다. 하지만 서강 학생은 욕심이 나는 역할이라 오디션에 나섰고, 당당히 주역으로 데뷔할 수 있었다.

현재의 꿈은 미국 뉴욕 메트로폴리탄 오페라 극장 무대에 서는 것이다. 가장 해보고 싶은 역할은 구노(C. Gounod)의 오페라 <파우스트>에서 감미로운 사랑의 아리아를 연주하는 파우스트다.

“졸업 후 미국 줄리아드나 독일 뮌헨국립음악원에서 공부하며 여러 국제 콩쿠르에 도전할 계획입니다. 선배님들의 모습을 본받아 클래식의 본고장인 유럽에서 한국인의 우수성을 세계에 알리고, 또 후배들에게 잘 전달해주며 K-클래식을 성장시키는 데 보탬이 되고 싶습니다.”

Challenging the world stage with Korean spirit

“My short observation about K-Classical Music is that its success was due to the previous generation who played a great role as pioneers. We were able to grown noticeably because we were taught by our senior generations who studied abroad in the home of classical music. Proudly, the Department of Vocal Music at Hanyang University has a lot of outstanding faculty that are second to none in the world.”

Professor Kim Woo-gyeong, a person who Seo Gang desires to be like in every aspect, as well as a vocalist as a role model, is also one of the pioneers of K-Classical Music, He has received acclaim in the world’s best opera houses, such as the Metropolitan Opera House, London Covent Garden Royal Opera House, and La Scala after graduating from the Department of Vocal Music at Hanyang University and studying at Munich National Conservatory. Seo Gang is faithfully on his teacher’s trajectory as a promising K-classic music star.

Seo Gang commented, “I hope that classical music will be more loved by Koreans before K-Classical Music fascinates classical music fans around the world. If people are often exposed to classical music on TV shows like pop music, more people will pay attention to it. I think TV programs like “Phantom Singer” are very good. In fact, before I started to learn vocal music, I also thought classical music was a bit boring. People indifferent to classical music don’t look for classical music concerts. I hope people become more familiar with classical music through TV programs or YouTube.”

Winning excellent recognition at major international competitions or stages can be one of the ways to raise people’s interest in K-Classical music. Seo Gang, who has never thought of taking on the challenge, thinking he is not qualified to participate in the international music competitions, plans to participate in the Viñas International Music Competition to be held in Spain next year. Seo Gang clearly possesses the spirit of a challenger. In 2018, when he was a freshman, he was cast as the lead actor in Puccini’s opera Gianni Schicchi, jointly organized by the Seongdong Foundation for Arts & Culture and Hanyang University’s College of Music. At that time, even seniors were hesitant to take part in the audition because it was a difficult role to play. However, Seo Gang who had a desire for the role took part in the audition and debuted as a leading actor.

He is now dreaming of taking the stage at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York, USA. The role he wants to play the most is Faust, who plays the sweet melody of aria of love in the Faust, an opera of C. Gounod.

“After graduation, I plan to study at Juilliard in the USA, or the National Music Conservatory in Munich, Germany, and to take part in various international music competitions. Following the seniors, I want to contribute to the growth of K-Classical music, promoting the excellence of Koreans to the world in Europe, the home of classical music, and passing on my capabilities to juniors.”

올해 40회를 맞은 대구국제성악콩쿠르에서 서강 학생은 영예의 대상(문화체육관광부 장관상)과 서울시오페라단상을 동시에 받았다. At the Daegu International Vocal Music Competition which celebrated its 40th anniversary this year, Seo Gang won the honorable grand prize (Award of Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism) and the Seoul Opera Prize.