Issues & Trend
HY Insight
Theme
Story

다양한 소재의 K-콘텐츠로
세계인의 마음을 사로잡다

K-content with various sources to attract people around the world

배우 이정은 동문(연극영화학과 88)

Actress Lee Jung-eun (Department of Theater and Film, Class of 1988)

• 글 김현지
  • 사진 제공 윌엔터테인먼트
  • Writing Kim Hyun-ji
  • Photograph Will Entertainment
저명한 해외 시상식에서 우리나라 영화나 배우가 좋은 성적을 거둔 사례는 많았다. 그러나전 세계를 휩쓸며 우리 영화의 역사를 새로 쓴 것은 단연코 봉준호 감독의 영화 <기생충>이다. 한국인의 아이디어와 손끝에서 탄생한 콘텐츠가 세계인의 관심과 사랑을 받는 이때, <기생충>의 히로인이자 신 스틸러로 세계인을 사로잡은 배우 이정은 동문을 만났다.

In many prominent international film awards, Korean films or actors have won top prizes. However, by far and away, it is the film “Parasite” (directed by Bong Joon-ho) that swept the world box office and rewrote the history of Korean movies. At a time when Korean ideas and contents created at the fingertips of Korean people draw global attentionfrom people around the world, we met actress Lee Jung-eun, who fascinated the world as a heroine and scene stealer of the film “Parasite”.

세계 무대에서 K-무비의 우수성을 알리다

영화 <기생충>은 국내는 물론 전 세계를 매료시키며 한국영화의 위상을 바꿔놓은 작품이다. 제72회 칸영화제에서 황금종려상을 받은 데 이어, 아시아에서 제작/연출된 작품으로는 최초로 제92회 아카데미 시상식에서 작품상, 감독상, 각본상, 국제장편영화상의 주요 4개 부문을 석권했다. 이외에도 토론토 국제영화제, 로카르노 국제영화제, 골든글로브 시상식, 전미비평가협회상, 청룡영화상, 대종상, 백상예술대상 등 국내외의 주요 시상식을 모두 휩쓸며 세계적인 작품임을 증명해냈다. 무려 250여 개의 상을 수상해 한국영화 사상 가장 많은 상을 받은 영화로도 기록됐다.

이런 <기생충>을 이야기할 때 빼놓을 수 없는 이가 바로 이정은 배우다. 저택의 입주가정부 ‘문광’ 역을 맡아 탁월한 연기력으로 극의 긴장과 스토리 반전을 이끌었다. 대체할 연기자가 떠오르지 않을 만큼 이정은 배우는 배역에 완벽히 녹아들었고 청룡영화상, 대종상 여우조연상과 더불어 제26회 미국배우조합상 영화부문 캐스팅상 등을 수상하는 쾌거를 이뤘다.

“국내외 스케줄에 동행하며 영광의 순간을 함께 나눴습니다. 해외에서 <기생충> 상영이 끝나고 수많은 사람이 기립 박수를 치고 환호해 주셨을 때 꿈인지 생시인지 어리둥절하기도 했고, 세상을 다 가진 듯한 기분이 들기도 했어요. 한국영화가 세계 무대에서도 깊은 감동과 메시지를 전달할 수 있다는 믿음과 자부심이 생겼죠. 무엇보다 많은 세계인이 한국영화를 주목하게 될 텐데 그러한 작품에 참여할 수 있었다는 사실에 뿌듯했습니다.”

이정은 배우는 세계적으로 인정받는 작품을 함께했다는 사실이 아직도 감격스럽고 봉준호 감독, 훌륭한 배우진과 함께할 수 있어 영광이었다는 소감을 밝혔다. 그에게 <기생충>은 잊지 못할 작품이자 인생의 전환점 중 하나다. <기생충> 이후 국내에서는 물론이고 세계적으로도 스포트라이트를 받게 됐다.

큰 성공 이후의 발걸음이 부담스러울 만도 하건만 이정은 배우는 더 다양한 장르, 다양한 역할을 소화하며 영화와 드라마를 넘나드는 중이다. 최근에는 자신의 첫 주연 영화인 <오마주>로 다시 한번 국내외의 뜨거운 관심을 받았다. 제15회 아시아 · 태평양 스크린 어워즈(APSA) 최우수연기상, 제7회 런던아시아영화제(LEAFF) 최고배우상 등을 거머쥐었다. 이정은 배우는 2022년에도 자신만의 발자취를 또렷이 남겼다.

“신수원 감독의 영화 <오마주>에서 데뷔 후 처음으로 단독 주연을 맡았습니다. 장편 주연은 처음이라 현장에서 긴장을 많이 했었죠. 이 영화는 재미있게도 영화에 대한 영화예요. 모든 영화계 분들에게 위로와 격려를 보내는 작품 같다는 생각도 듭니다.”

Publicizing the excellence of K-movie on the world stage

The film “Parasite” has changed the status of Korean movies, fascinating not only Korean fans but also global fans. After winning the Palme d’Or at the 72nd Cannes Film Festival, it won the awards in four major categories: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and International Feature Film at the 92nd Academy Awards for the first time as a film produced/directed in Asia. Furthermore, it swept major awards at home and abroad, including the Toronto International Film Festival, Locarno International Film Festival, Golden Globe Awards, National Society of Film Critics’ Awards, Blue Dragon Film Awards, Grand Bell Awards, and Baeksang Arts Awards, proving itself as a world-class film. It won as many as 250 awards, becoming the most award-winning film in Korean film history.

When talking about the film “Parasite,” the person who becomes the subject of discussion is actress Lee Jung-eun. Playing the role of ‘Moon-gwang,’ the housekeeper of the mansion, she led the tension and radical changes of story flow in the drama with her excellent acting ability. Lee Jung-eun was perfectly immersed in the role to the extent that she had no parallel in the field and had the splendid achievement of winning the Blue Dragon Film Award, the Grand Bell Award for Best Supporting Actress, as well as an award for outstanding performance by a cast in a motion picture at the Screen Actors Guild Award ceremony.

“I shared moments of glory accompanying others on domestic and international events. When the screening of the film "Parasite" ended overseas, I had to pinch myself to get standing ovations from lots of people, feeling like I had taken over the world. It gave me confidence and pride that Korean films can deliver deep impressions and messages to the world. Most of all, I was proud to be able to take part in a Korean film, to which many people around the world will pay attention.”

Actress Lee Jung-eun expressed her feelings that she was still thrilled to be working on a globally recognized work, and that it was an honor to be able to work with director Bong Joon-ho and the other great cast. For her, the film “Parasite” is a memorable work making the turning points in her life. With the film “Parasite,” she received the spotlight both at home and abroad.

Actress Lee Jung-eun may naturally feel the burden of great success, but she is working in a wider range of genres and roles beyond movies and dramas. Recently, she was once again at the center of a global media sensation, first starring in the film “Homage.” She won the Best Actor Award at the 15th Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA) and the Best Actor Award at the 7th London East Asian Film Festival (LEAFF). Even in 2022, actress Lee Jung-eun left a clear mark on film history.

“I was in the only leading role for the first time since my debut in the film “Homage” directed by Shin Su-won. It was my first feature film, so I was very nervous on set. Interestingly, the movie was about movies. I thought it’s a film that gives comfort and encouragement to all people in the film industry.”

이정은 배우는 영화 <기생충>에서 ‘문광’ 역을 탁월하게 소화하며 세계인에게 눈도장을 찍었다.
이미지는 영화 <기생충> 포스터.
© CJ엔터테인먼트 & 바른손이엔에이 Lee Jung-eun excelled at playing the role of ‘Moongwang’ in the film “Parasite” and made her debut on the world stage. The image is a poster for the film “Parasite.”
© CJ Entertainment & Barunson E&A

끝없는 노력이 만든 K-콘텐츠의 남다름

올해 봄에는 tvN <우리들의 블루스>에 출연하며 인상 깊은 연기를 선보였다. 이 드라마는 넷플릭스 드라마 순위 국내 1위를 차지한 것은 물론, 베트남과 홍콩, 인도네시아, 필리핀, 태국, 방글라데시 등지에서도 인기를 끌었다. 이정은 배우는 지난 10월에 공개된 티빙 드라마 <욘더>, 이번 12월에 공개된 애플 TV+ <리틀 아메리카> 시즌 2 등 OTT 플랫폼에서도 맹활약 중이다.

“올해 초에 <리틀 아메리카> 시즌 2 에피소드 1편 제작을 위해 미국에서 촬영을 진행했습니다. 언제고 도전하고 싶은 무대였던 할리우드에서 제안을 주셔서 기분 좋게 촬영에 임했죠. 한국의 배우들과 여러 콘텐츠가 해외에서 많은 사랑을 받는다는 사실에 늘 감사함을 느낍니다. 제작발표회나 여러 행사에 참여할 때도 국내 팬들 못지않게 해외 팬들이 많이 보이시더라고요. 지난 10월에 <욘더> 홍보차 부산국제영화제에 갔을 때도 많은 해외 팬이 알아보고 응원해 주셔서 너무 감사했습니다.”

‘한류’라는 단어가 생기고 우리나라 문화 콘텐츠를 해외시장에 선보인 지는 오래됐지만, 요즘처럼 전 세계의 호응과 사랑을 얻은 적은 없었다. 이에 따라 넷플릭스 <오징어 게임>, 애플 TV+ <파친코> 등과 같이 우리나라 배우가 연기하는 우리나라의 이야기지만 글로벌 OTT 기업이 제작하고, 해외 감독이나 스텝과 협업하는 작품들이 늘어나고 있다. 이정은 배우는 이런 추세를 긍정적으로 바라봤다. 우리나라의 배우뿐 아니라 뛰어난 감독과 기술 스텝들이 세계로 뻗어나가 능력을 발휘할 발판이 될 것이라 강조했다.

“글로벌 OTT 기업과의 협력을 통해 세계 콘텐츠 문화의 중심에 한류 바람이 더 크게 불었으면 하는 바람입니다. 무한한 상상력과 끊임없는 노력이 한류가 사랑받는 이유라고 생각해요. 한국은 예전부터 탄탄한 스토리와 기술력으로 훌륭한 작품들을 만들고, 세계 시장에 선보이며 피드백을 받아 왔죠. 지금에서야 그 노력들이 빛을 발한 것이라 생각합니다.”

이정은 배우는 각양각색의 인물들이 가진 사연과 상황을 스토리에 잘 녹이고 대중이 공감하고 이해할 수 있도록 이끄는 탁월한 연기 · 연출력, 뛰어난 영상미를 뽑아내는 남다른 기술력이 우수한 한류 작품을 만들었다고 말했다.

Uniqueness of K-Contents created by endless efforts

In the spring of this year, actress Lee Jung-eun appeared in “Our Blues” (tvN), showing impressive performance. The drama not only ranked first among the Netflix dramas aired in Korea but also gained popularity in Vietnam, Hong Kong, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Bangladesh, etc. She is also on full blast on OTT platforms such as “Yonder” (TVING), which was released in October, and “Little America” season 2 (Apple TV+), which was released in December.

“Earlier this year, I shot in the U.S. for episode 1 of Season 2 of “Little America.” I enjoyed the time because I always had dreamed of taking the stage in Hollywood, which gave me an offer first. I am always grateful to see that Korean actors and various Korean contents are loved overseas. When I participated in production press conferences or various events, I saw as many foreign fans as domestic fans. When I visited the Busan International Film Festival to publicize the new drama “Yonder” last October, thankfully, many overseas fans recognized me and cheered me.”

It’s been a long time since the term ‘Korean Wave’ was coined and Korean cultural contents were introduced to global markets, but they have never been so well received and loved by people around the world as they are these days. In this regard, more and more works are produced by global OTT companies, with the collaboration of foreign directors or staff, even though they are stories about Korea played by Korean actors, such as the Netflix drama “Squid Game” and the Apple TV+ drama “Pachinko.” Actress Lee Jung-eun has a positive view about such trend. She stressed that it will serve as a springboard not only for Korean actors but also for outstanding directors and technical staff to enter the global stage and demonstrate their abilities.

“I hope that the Korean Wave will rise in a big way at the center of global content culture through collaboration with global OTT companies. I think the power behind the success of the Korean Wave is the infinite imagination and endless efforts of the Korean people. Koreans have been producing great works with solid storylines and technologies and have received positive feedback by releasing them on the global market. Only now do I think those efforts have paid off.”

Actress Lee Jung-eun pointed out that outstanding Korean Wave contents are created from excellent acting/directing ability that leads the audience to understand and to be immersed in their work by containing various characters' situation in stories and extraordinary technologies that show outstanding visual beauty.

이정은 배우는 OTT 플랫폼 오리지널 드라마에도 다수 출연하며 활동 영역을 넓히고 있다. 사진은 넷플릭스 드라마 <소년심판>의 한 장면. Lee Jung-eun is also in full blast on the original dramas in the OTT platforms, expanding her boundaries. The picture is a scene from the Netflix drama “Juvenile Justice.”
1991년 연극 <한여름 밤의 꿈>으로 데뷔한 이정은 배우는 공연 무대에도 애착이 깊다. 이미지는 그가 출연했던 뮤지컬 <빨래>의 한 장면. Lee Jung-eun, who debuted in the play “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in 1991, is also deeply attached to the performance on stage. The image is a scene from the musical “Laundry,” in which she appeared.
tvN 드라마 <우리들의 블루스> 스틸 컷. 이정은 배우는 현시대의 작고 소소한 이야기들을 아름답게 풀어낸 드라마라 이 작품이 특별히 기억에 남는다고 꼽았다. Still cut from the tvN drama ”Our Blues,” Lee Jung-eun said that this work was particularly memorable because the series revolves around the sweet and bitter lives of contemporary people.

한국은 탄탄한 스토리와 기술력으로 훌륭한 작품들을 만들고, 세계 시장에 선보여 왔다.
무한한 상상력과 끊임없는 노력이 한류가 사랑받는 이유다

Koreans have been producing great works with good storylines and technologies and have released them on the global market. Infinite imagination and endless efforts are the secrets behind the success of the Korean Wave.

꿈꾸는 사람만이 꿈을 이룰 수 있다

1991년 연극 <한여름 밤의 꿈>으로 데뷔한 이정은 배우는 어느새 32년 차 배우가 됐다. 그는 2019년 크게 주목받기 전까지 무려 28년이라는 긴 무명 시절을 보냈다. 일정하지 않은 수입으로 인해 생활고를 겪었고 마흔 살까지 마트 직원, 녹즙 판매 등 여러 아르바이트를 병행하며 연기 활동을 이어왔다. 힘들지 않았다면 거짓말이지만, 그만큼 자신을 갈고닦아 깊은 내공이 돋보이는 배우로 성장했다. ‘대기만성’을 의인화한다면 바로 이정은 배우가 아닐까.

“꿈과 목표에 도달하기 위한 끊임없는 노력과 자기계발이 중요하다고 생각해요. 얼마나 해야 그 노력이 큰 것인지, 무엇을 해야 자기계발이 되는지 답이 정해져 있진 않지만, 꿈과 목표를 위해 그 순간 어떤 마음으로 임하고 있는지가 중요하지 않을까요? 미래는 아무도 알 수 없죠. 하지만 자신에 대한 믿음을 갖고 정진해 나간다면 꿈을 이룰 수 있으리라 생각합니다. 지금의 저 역시도 그렇게 한 걸음 한 걸음 나아가고 있어요.”

영화, 드라마, 연극 무대를 가리지 않고 다채로운 형식의 수많은 작품에 참여해온 이정은 배우. 매번 새로운 모습으로 대중을 만나면서도 찰떡같이 역할을 표현해 내는 비결이 뭘까. 그는 작품 선택 시 특별한 기준을 정하진 않는다고 밝혔다. 그저 본인이 공감할 수 있고 잘 표현할 수 있는지를 먼저 생각하고 출연 여부를 결정한단다. 이정은 배우는 다양한 작품을 통해 K-콘텐츠가 세계인의 사랑을 받는 데 힘을 보태고 싶다고 전했다.

“12월에 방영을 시작한 tvN 드라마 <미씽: 그들이 있었다 2>와 2023년 초에 방영될 넷플릭스 오리지널 시리즈 <정신병동에도 아침이 와요> 작품 촬영으로 바쁜 일상을 보내고 있어요. 앞으로도 제가 할 수 있고, 많은 분이 공감할 수 있는 역할로 행복하게 연기하는 게 목표입니다. 2023년에도 다양한 콘텐츠로 인사드릴 수 있게 노력하겠습니다.”

Only dreamers can achieve their dreams

Lee Jung-eun, who debuted in the play “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in 1991, has worked in the film industry for 32 years. For as many as 28 years before gaining a lot of attention in 2019, she had been an unknown actress. She suffered hardships in life due to irregular income and continued her acting career by financing her living expense working as part-time mart clerk and green juice seller until the age of 40. It would be a lie if she did not suffer from hardship, but that time has polished her up to become an experienced actress. It is actress Lee Jung-eun who is most suitable for the proverb ‘Great talent matures late.’

“I think that endless effort and self-development to achieve dreams and goals are important. There is no clear answer to how much effort you have to make or what you have to do for self-development. Isn’t it important how I am working toward my dreams and goals at that moment? No one knows the future. However, I firmly believe that if I have confidence in myself and work hard, I will be able to achieve my dream. Now I, too, am taking one step at a time.”

Lee Jung-eun is an actress who has appeared in numerous works in a variety of formats, regardless genre - film, drama or theater. What is the secret to suiting the role perfectly while meeting the audience with new looks every time? She said she did not set any particular criteria when selecting works. She decided whether or not to act in a film just by thinking first about whether she could feel empathy and express the role well. Actress Lee Jung-eun said that she wants to contribute to K-Content in gaining global affection and respect through various works.

“I am busy with filming the tvN drama “Missing: The Other Side2,” which started airing in December this year and the Netflix original series “Morning Comes to a Mental Ward,” which will air in early 2023. Going forward, my goal is to happily act in a role that I can do and that many people can sympathize with. I will be committed to meeting the audience through various contents in 2023.”